• Jul : 20 : 2014 - Side Effect of Divorce: High Blood Pressure
  • Jul : 20 : 2014 - What is Yellow Fever?
  • Jul : 13 : 2014 - Periodic Table of Storytelling
  • Jul : 6 : 2014 - Who Invented Paper?
  • Jun : 22 : 2014 - Who invented the Test Tube?
  • Jun : 8 : 2014 - Who invented QR Code?
  • May : 25 : 2014 - What is QR Code?
  • May : 11 : 2014 - Who invented Bar Code?
  • Apr : 27 : 2014 - What is Japanese Encephalitis?
  • Apr : 13 : 2014 - The Health Risks of Wearing A Bra

Kean Jim showed me a letter wrote by Wyn regarding to the future of forensic science undergraduates in Malaysia (Letter was written in Chinese).

As it is a demand for forensic science in Malaysia, Malaysia Royal Police (PDRM) and Malaysia Chemistry Department (JKM) had introduced the course for Bachelor of Forensic Science degree in local university, USM. The course was designed by them to teach them all the knowledges one needed in investigating crime, handling evidences, court knowledges, and also all the boy steal to eat cookierelated skills. Wyn mentioned that after they graduate, there was no suitable positions in either PDRM or JKM. Wyn was confused why on earth the course was designed by them if it was not to train forensic professionals to aid in crime investigating. Wyn questioned if the course was designed just for the sack of it without thinking if there was any job vacancies for all the gradutes. PDRM explained that if people graduate with the degree, they need to be a police first before they can join their lab. Becoming a police in Malaysia is not an issue, but there is a minimum requirement as a police candidate, which is that one cannot wear spectacles (vision problems). As you know, science kids are nerds and most of us wear specs. JKM also rejected these undergraduates as they thought these people did not have enough chemistry knowledge (and the course was designed by JKM). Wyn also pointed out that one of the government owned TV channel was showing “Crime Scene Investigation” programme, which attracted more people considering taking forensic science degree.

Wyn felt lost as he did not know how would he do in the future. People who chose to take forensic science degree (as well as other degree) were not dumb, instead they were qualified to study medicine. We chose to do science was simply because we were really passionate in it. The same thing does not only happen on forensic science, but also biotechnology degree as government was promoting it heavily in recent years, and the job prospective in Malaysia is really bad (#).

(letter [pic][via])

Categories: General

71 Responses so far.

1. umie says:

mcm ne la nk msuk kje forensik…bla dh minat org x bg peluang…nk kne msuk polis plak dh?klu rabun?xder dh peluang tu…abis tu mcm ne la x rmai graduates kt luar tu x dpt kje…tlg la bg peluang kt kami2 yg minat bidang tu…

2. metoo says:

yeay.. realy an open eye blog… i thought to further my stdy in fornsci corse in ipts.. after reading dis blog now i realy understnd wt ones should do.. depending on the corse only wil not guarented me to get job in this field so bter for me to take another way to fullfil my dream.. n too all who realy interest in dis job wishing u a very good luck.. hoping the fornsci mlysia can improve and more cases can b solve.. the end..

3. wanji says:

this is a link to my article posted in harian metro regarding forensic science in malaysia..this is the least i can do for us..enjoy reading it..

4. Dale Yeoh says:

Guys,how about study this course overseas?

5. wanji says:

dale,

no matter where u study, i bet it’s still d same..in Malaysia (talking abt USM), we have numbers of lecturers with good experience and exposure to this course and you will cherish ur time studying forensics in USM..so u dont really have to go out from malaysia..it’s juz d system dat denies d students to have a better job prospect in d future..

6. Raida says:

I really into this course, duh. Anyway thanks for sharing this article.

7. miss jagung says:

hai….im ex matriculation student n ive already applying a course in forensic in usm…but after i read this blog,i ve made up my mind not to accept this courses if i get it bcoz i think it is possibly for me to get it bcoz mt pointer is quite good..da prob is,im scared if i reject the offer i didnt get other course in my upu…somebdy plz gve some advise…is there any chance to get other courses?

8. Natalie says:

Honestly, if you want to work in Malaysia’s forensics department… forget it. I mean, you have to become a freaking policeman first before joining the force? That’s ridiculous.

And people… please. Grammar. My eyes have just gone blurry, fyi.

9. yoshie says:

urm.. well, i’m currently doing degree in forensics in ukm.. i think some of the requirements about the specs and stuff have been altered~ but then again none of my seniors are police officers yet.. and we learn way too much chemistry! like seriously.. even weird chem courses are a must!! how could these people say we dont have basics o__O

10. analea says:

Hello!

Well, after reading all those comments, i felt like i need to share my view. :)

I am one of the Forensic Science graduates that have yet failed to get a dream job in the Forensic field.
    Now, i am a Chemistry lecturer.

It ain’t about whether u can be a CSI or not.
    It’s about how can you apply your knowledge.
    It ain’t about whether your job has any CSI or FORENSIC name attached to it.
    It’s about how much you can contribute with your qualification.

Eventhough your qualification has the word FORENSIC in it, it doesn’t always mean that you MUST be a Forensic. Of course, it’s everyone’s dream job.

But hey!
    Open your mind, open your eyes, no use being a graduate if u failed to use your brain to think.
    Look around, there are many ways that you can apply your so called Forensic knowledge. Stop pointing at others, look at yourself, don’t blame others should you fail to get proper job coz all you did was whining and complaining. This ain’t the attitude that a CSI should have. rite? :)

Find other alternatives, if you didn’t meet the requirements set up by PDRM & JKM, don’t blame them. They know what’s best for them. They also have procedures to follow before hiring anyone to work with them. You can’t just simply ask them to take you in because you have the qualification. That is not the way how things work in real life. :)

Graduating with Forensic qualification, you can apply to various positions in other companies. You can be Lecturers, Teachers, Chemists, Researchers, Officer, Analyst, Assistants etc. or, you can improve yourself by furthering your study, get a Master or PHD. That is wayyyy cooler than complaining. Prove to them that you deserve the position that you’ve asked for. :)

God doesn’t give us what we want, HE gives us what we need. :)

Open your mind, open your eyes. Life is not a soap opera.

11. 9mmleftshinki says:

Hello everyone.
    Reading all these comments here, I cant speak for everyone but for myself I never feel the 4years degree I gain from USM wasteful. This is rather an unpopular believe but the fact that we cant go to the CSI jobs and forensic professions in Malaysia are all coming back to us. The University offer the course and trained the graduates to be prepare and geared us up to be compliment to the field of specialization. The University does not have the obligation to prepare the opportunity for the jobs nor the government. With all the complaints above, its quite on the contrary with the information that I get from both PDRM and BOMBA. Each year they wait for us to apply to work with them but in actuality very few had even apply to be part of it. So where are you guys? In Malaysia, Forensic is not a separate entities from the government bodies like Bomba and PDRM, so wanna stick to the Forensic job then apply to be one as an officer either for PDRM or Bomba.
    As for me, Im not working for Bomba nor PDRM since im physically unfit and working in uniform is not my think. Im sticking up myself with Forensic so what I did I continue my Master and now aiming to become an academician and a researcher. I aim to become an expert in Forensic for Malaysia. Im climbing the ladder now, it may look far fetch but I believe in 10 years to come, I will be of the need for Malaysia in Forensic Science. I believe us, the graduates that being trained and produce by USM, UKM, MSU are the initiative to prepare the pioneers for this ever growing field.
    We should stop the whining and blaming the problem. Fix the problem.
    As of yet, who says Forensic graduates doesn’t have jobs? As far as I know, my friends as of now scatter all over the country doing their best in Forensic field. Myself, I’ve been doing very hard now preparing curriculum for vocational in Forensic Aide for MOE…so its a matter of effort and determination.
    We are not bunch of kids but we are a Forensic Science graduates. Stop complaining and do something about it for god sake .

12. gerrtahnaa says:

I study all the comments here…Im really mad of this course….bt what makes me sad is ….***jobless after graduate***…and its ridiculous wen hear that we shud bcome a policeman first b4 joining the force…After study this blog….i decided to nt study forensic science in malaysia.If i gt my jpa scholarship…i would like to choose University of Mississippi in Oxford to study forensic chemistry and the vacancies for this job are available there.

13. Munira says:

I came back to this post to follow on the latest development of forensic sciences in Malaysia. I read through the comments (complaints), and I have something to say.

I’m inclined to agree with 9mmleftshinki.

People, this issue is not unique to only in Malaysia. It’s the same conundrum in the UK as well. Having a first degree in Forensic Sciences will not guarantee you a glamorous job in forensics. The competition in the UK is much tougher because recruiters, companies and the police force DEMAND for candidates with experience. A degree alone, even a First Class Honours, will not cut it.

Stop whining and start understanding how the industry/system works.

My advice is to make plans ahead. Know what you want to do. Stop demanding for people to give. That’s not how life works, regardless if you’re in Malaysia or the UK or USA. Instead earn your way through the world and yes, career. Equipped with a Forensic Sciences degree, you all should consider gaining work experience. Apply for entry-level positions – lab techs, lab assistant, teaching assistant at university… anything, as long as you gain lab experience. Or even Bomba because there’s always a need for Fire Scene Investigator. If you want to be a Crime Scene Investigator (know the difference between CSI at scene and lab), then I’m afraid joining the police is your best option, but that Forensics degree is a bonus. GLP is very important. Whatever you learn at university level is merely a taster. Forensics companies, especially major ones, more often than not are reluctant to employ fresh grads who are still green with a huge chip in their shoulder because of so many reasons – as forensics majors, you should know and understand that it’s an unforgiving field with no margin for errors. Remember that you are going to be working with evidence – evidence that will be produced in court with attorneys looking for every mistake, every loophole to exploit and disprove for the benefit of their clients.

In short – if you are seriously passionate about forensics, then work on strengthening your CV. Know your shit, inside out. Experience speaks volumes than just a mere fancy degree. A Forensic Sciences degree will only help put your foot in the door, but your knowledge, skills and experience will determine your value to potential employers.

PDRM is not the only police force in the world with such policy. Last I heard, the same requirement is (was?) in place in Australia as well, but I’d be grateful if someone could confirm or correct me in this because some countries may have changed policies like the UK. You guys should consider not slagging off the PDRM simply because you’re not getting what you want. Remember that if you want to get into the field, you’ll be collaborating and working with them. It’s quite bad and unprofessional that you’re already emitting this negative vibe about PDRM. Like I said, understand how the system and policies work. Try not to confuse what the TV is portraying for reality. Remember that they’re mostly American based (even so, they’re still inaccurate), so again, policy matters because different countries, different policies.

There are always alternatives.

14. Munira says:

Analea: Yup, that’s the spirit!

Yoshie: Forensics is very chemistry-focused (tip to any other forensics hopeful reading this). To be fair, my strength lies in Biology and not Chemistry. I struggled through uni doing forensics and it was an absolute NIGHTMARE for me because chemistry’s not my thing, so I understand your grief. But the satisfaction that came when I finally understood something was unbelievably wonderful. I never regretted doing forensics. I designed my own final year thesis – it was on investigating the quality of DNA from porcine sample immersed in water of different salinity to simulate drowned victims.

15. Dr.beigpoor says:

i am a medical doctor and also a specilaist in pathology .I have about 14 yrs experience in my field and also 6 yrs experience in forensic pathology , looking for a job in malaysia .

16. Unknown4 says:

I’m currently doing my degree in Forensic Science in MSU(Management and Science University)and I have only one doubt regarding the forensic field in PDRM. Why cant forensic graduates work as forensic officers straightaway rather than joining the force as inspector and then slowly progressing into the respective field. Its because we fit more nicely into the CSI depart. We work with the dead bodies and evidences, not running around and catching criminals. No offence.

17. riquia says:

@unknown4, so what’s your plan afterwards? i’m planning to join the degree programme in forensic science in MSU too. need advice. please help me.

18. Unknown4 says:

@riquia Most probably im going to try and enter the police force, but im nt sure how far im going to go in the forensic field. Actually for now there is a lot of hanky panky goin on here in MSU regarding the course structure as well as its duration. Recently they just extended another one year for us so its a total of 4 years now for the degree course. And regarding the loan, they only provide us with half of the original course fees and we have to chip in the balance.

19. riquia says:

@unknown4, maybe this a little out of topic, but hows forensic in msu? gonna start this 14th january. ^^

20. Unknown4 says:

@riquia not bad i would say..u will know more once u join here k. :)

21. lalala ~ says:

I’m an SPM candidate for this year and currently im studying in PERMATApintar. in my final year, we need to make a career folio and we have to explain about our dream ambitions bla bla bla.

I always dreamt of being a forensic investigator since i was little and so im planning to pursue my studies on forensic science. but looking at the post and comments makes me wonder. I hope that someone could answer it please. it will be a big help :)

in few years time, will there be lots and lots of job opportunities relating to forensic? what is the future of forensics in malaysia? am i making the right decision here?